In an effort to provide sportsman with additional hunting opportunities the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) will coordinate special archery deer hunts at six locations that border three of Ohio’s designated Scenic Rivers.
The Scenic Rivers program administered through the ODNR Division of Watercraft has identified several properties along some of Ohio’s highest quality rivers and streams to be open for special archery lottery hunts. These woodland and successional habitats, including broad floodplains and upland regions, have seen very little hunting and should provide sportsmen with a unique opportunity to explore these seldom visited sites. While primarily offered as a sporting opportunity, these hunts are expected to lessen the impacts that browsing deer have on Ohio’s native plant populations.
Application for the hunts will be handled at the local level by ODNR staff during scheduled drawings. Hunters must attend individual meetings if they are interested in particular hunts. At that time, hunters can enter the drawing by purchasing a single ticket at a price of $5. Hunters must possess a valid 2015-16 hunting license in order to purchase tickets. Names will be randomly drawn, and those selected will be assigned a specific time to hunt. An orientation will be conducted immediately following the drawing. Hunters will be permitted to hunt with a partner; however, the partner is not required to attend the drawing or orientation. Special regulations governing these hunts will be addressed at the orientation meetings following the drawings.
All of these special hunts will be archery only and each winner will receive a two week period in which they can hunt their particular site. Hunters may enter the drawings for all six of the hunts, but they must attend the meeting for each hunt in order to enter the drawing. Entry forms will not be accepted by mail or phone.
Hunt locations and drawing dates are listed below. Each drawing will be held on Saturday, Aug. 22.
- Terra Nova (Union County) site located on Big Darby Creek. The hunt site is located on N. Lewisburg Road, North Lewisburg. The hunt meeting and drawing for the Terra Nova hunt will be held at the Plain City Youth Building, located in Past Time Park, 344 N. Chillicothe St., Plain City. This drawing will be held on Saturday, Aug. 22, at 9 a.m.
- Abshire-Graves (Darke County) site is located on the Stillwater River. The hunt site is located on State Route 185, Versailles. The hunt meeting and drawing for the Abshire-Graves hunt will be held at the Barn at Stillwater Prairie, 9750 State Route 185, Covington. This drawing will be held on Saturday, Aug. 22, at 2 p.m.
The meetings and drawings for all four Little Miami River sites (Deerfield Gorge, Caesar Creek, Hall’s Creek and Roxanna) will be held at the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers Visitor’s Center, 4020 N. Clarksville Road, Waynesville. These drawings will be held on Saturday, Aug. 22, at 5 p.m.
- Deerfield Gorge (Warren County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site is located on King Ave., Maineville.
- Caesar Creek (Warren County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site for Caesar Creek is located on County Road 30 (Middletown Road), Waynesville.
- Hall’s Creek (Warren County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site for Hall’s Creek is located on Mason-Morrow-Millgrove Road, Morrow.
- Roxanna (Greene County) site is located on the Little Miami River. The hunt site for Roxanna is located on U.S. Route 42, Spring Valley.
ODNR ensures a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Visit the ODNR website at ohiodnr.gov.