Following up on the contributions of the Pecks to the development of Cardington, I am intrigued by the efforts of V W. Peck, son of pioneer J. S. Peck, in fulfilling his promise to his bride that he would build her a new home.

His marriage to Bessie Talmage of Mount Gilead took place in April, 1895 and in a newspaper account dated Oct. 5, 1899, their house is pictured.

Located at 501 South Marion Street, the house was described as “the finest of the many beautiful, comfortable homes for which Cardington is known and probably the finest in the county.”

The Peck House has had just four owners in that 119 year span: the Pecks, Milton Poorman family, Ernest and Mary Kanable and current owners and residents, Jack and Jane Edgell, who purchased the property in June of 1981.

There are 11 rooms and two baths in the two story home. All materials used in its construction came from the Peck factory. California Redwood covers the exterior. Its original narrow siding and upper shingles were painted green. The shingles were later replaced with grey siding by the Kanables. The veranda was eventually removed.

Cherry, oak, ash and sycamore were used in various room construction. All of the floors are of inlaid hardwood, and handcarved railing marks the stairway.

The house has a full basement and is still heated with hot water. Recently one of the cast iron radiators failed and the Edgell’s found a company who has them in stock and replaced it.

The newspaper article names all who helped design and build this house from Rufus Silverthorn who designed it and was the head carpenter to Dennis Lacy who laid out its grounds.

Edgell said they razed the old chicken house and he added a workshop to the two-story carriage house. He also constructed a small outdoor patio to the shop where he works daily.

The Edgells hosted an open house at one time and for 13 years they have welcomed the Cardington-Lincoln fourth grade students to tour the house.

Mills Poorman remembers when his parents, the late Milton and Margaret Poorman, owned the house, his mother and Mrs. Ellis Powers conducted a school for pre school children for two years.

Edgell is an avid collector of Cardington historical memorabilia, and a visit to the basement of this historic house is likened to a tour of old Cardington.

For more information on this house, check the October 5, 1899 edition of the Morrow County Independent.

Glancing back

January 1926- There were over 1000 people attending the Farmers Institute at the Cardington School. Awards were made for the posters advertising the event and the poster made by Adah Click, the only high school entry, received the unanimous approval of the judges as the best poster. Among the entries made by grade children, the poster made by Jacob Click received first prize; GaNelle Maxwell’s was second and Mildred Smiley’s was third.

January 1956- Dean Graham was named chairman of St Paul’s Lutheran Church 30 years ago.

January 1986- Richard T. Myers was named president of the Mount Gilead Board of Education.

Evelyn Long Long

By Evelyn Long

Morrow County Sentinel