“The Morrow County History Center” is name of Historical Society Museum


By Alberta Stojkovic - For the Morrow County Sentinel



Alberta Stojkovic | Morrow County Sentinel Morrow County Historical Society President Mike Wilson and Donna Carver of the Morrow County Historical Society unveiled the name for the Historical Society’s Museum on the Mount Gilead Public Square as “The Morrow County History Center.


Morrow County Chamber of Commerce members at the August meeting were the first to hear the name chosen for the History Museum on the Mount Gilead public square. Historical Society President Mike Wilson explained that the society had asked for suggestions from Open House visitors at the Sweet Corn Festival in July. The name chosen from suggestions is “The Morrow County History Center.”

Wilson was the featured speaker at the August 18th Chamber meeting and he gave an update of the Morrow County Historical Society and its “new” museum. He first recognized Historical Society member Donna Carver for her work in plastering, painting and dedication to work on the museum project along with several other members who did a lot of volunteer work.

“It’s our vision to have permanent displays such as the Rumrill pottery along with rotating exhibits, speakers and presentations,” Wilson said.

Wilson went on to thank Consolidated Electric for the donation of six computers to the Society as well as thanking the many who have made monetary donations over the past year. He also acknowledged the First Knox National Bank for the original donation of the building to the Society.

He offered a timeline history for the building from when it was built in 1864 and was known as the “Granite Block.”

It housed the First National Bank there from 1864 to 1914. and was named the “Granite Bank” from 1914-1918.

It was again named the “First National Bank” from 1935 to 1972 and was renovated in 1970. From 1972-1981 it was called the “Community National Bank.” It was called the “Society National Bank” for a time in 1980’s and from 1989 to Dec. 2015 it was the “First Knox National Bank.”

The Historical Society also owns and maintains two other properties in Morrow County. They are the Garverick Log Cabin at the County Fairgrounds and the Cross House on South Main Street in Mount Gilead. Wilson said they have a wish list that includes installing furnaces in the History Center and remodeling the upstairs there. They are a 501c3 association and are soliciting donations, seeking grants and planning fundraisers. They are planning a benefit breakfast on Oct. 10th.

For more information you can visit them on Facebook, or receive a newsletter by getting a membership. Student memberships are $10, Individual are $15 and Family are $25. Their address is Morrow County Historical Society, 17 W. High Street, Mount Gilead, OH 43338.

Alberta Stojkovic is a correspondent with the Morrow County Sentinel and can be reached at alberta_s16@hotmail.com.

Alberta Stojkovic | Morrow County Sentinel Morrow County Historical Society President Mike Wilson and Donna Carver of the Morrow County Historical Society unveiled the name for the Historical Society’s Museum on the Mount Gilead Public Square as “The Morrow County History Center.
http://aimmedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2015/08/web1_DSCN74351.jpgAlberta Stojkovic | Morrow County Sentinel Morrow County Historical Society President Mike Wilson and Donna Carver of the Morrow County Historical Society unveiled the name for the Historical Society’s Museum on the Mount Gilead Public Square as “The Morrow County History Center.

By Alberta Stojkovic

For the Morrow County Sentinel