Ohioans need to be aware of what is being done to the U.S. Postal Service. A new Postmaster General, Louis DeJoy, who has never worked in a post office and is a funder of the GOP, is working to make the Postal Service less efficient in timely mail delivery before the 2020 election.
Postmaster DeJoy’s actions include:
• prohibited the use of overtime.
• directed that all mail carriers ensure that all trucks depart on time, even if not all of the day’s mail has been loaded for delivery.
• decommissioned in 5 different processing facilities 19 sorting machines that process 30,000 – 35,000 pieces of mail in one hour.
• removed mail collection boxes across the country
• planned to decommission 20 percent of the sorting capacity of the Postal Service.
• testified before a Senate committee that he refuses to reinstall mail sorting machines because he believes them unnecessary.
• testified before a Senate committee that there was only a “dip” in on-time mail delivery.
• learned from the committee chairman that an internal memo prepared for him showed deep declines in on-time delivery rate since the beginning of July, 2020.
• was subpoenaed by Congress on September 2nd for withholding documents from Congress.
These actions paint a sad picture of what is being done to the USPS. Absentee ballot voters need to know that a mailed ballot will arrive in time to be counted. Call or write your Republican Senator and Representative to tell them to restore the USPS to full working capacity now.