Cardington falls out of playoff race with loss; Northmor also falls


[email protected]

Cardington’s hopes of making the Division VI playoffs this year came to an end at the hand of Fredericktown Friday by a 49-24 margin — a game that propelled the Freddies to the Mid-Ohio Athletic Conference Blue Division co-championship and a postseason berth.

Fredericktown got off to a fast start against the Pirates, scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter to take a 14-0 lead. Cardington responded with a safety in the second quarter to close within 12 at the half. From there, the Pirates tried to play catch-up, but Fredericktown would maintain a lead.

Cardington scored to open the third quarter on an 84-yard kick return by Devin Pearl and then got a two-point run by Trey Williams, but the Freddies scored two straight touchdowns on the ground to boost their advantage to a 28-10 margin.

Thanks to a 24-yard scoring pass from Luke McCarrell to Pearl and a two-point pass from McCarrell to Scott Osborne, the Pirates got within 10 points, but the Freddies scored on a fumble return to hold a 35-18 lead after three.

Cardington got a touchdown from Osborne in the fourth quarter to get within 11, but Fredericktown finished the game with two straight scores to win by 25.

Cardington’s season concludes with the Pirates holding a 7-3 overall record, 5-2 in conference play.

Northmor Knights

Elgin pulled away from host Northmor in the fourth quarter to claim a 44-28 in the final contest of the football season for both teams. The Knights finish 2-8, 1-6 in league play.

Northmor got off to a fast start in the game, getting a 40-yard run for points by Demetrius Johnson in the first quarter. Jordan Wiseman then ran for a 15-yard score and passed to Gunnar Lilly for a two-point conversion for the team to go up by 14. However, the Comets tied the score by the half with a pair of second-quarter TDs.

The Knights took a 22-14 lead in the third quarter on an 18-yard run by Jake Farley followed by a second two-point pass from Wiseman to Lilly. However, Elgin would respond to tie things at 22 by the end of the quarter.

Elgin would open the fourth period with 14 straight points to take a 36-22 lead, but Northmor bounced back with a 48-yard scoring pass from Wiseman to Keller to close within eight points. Unfortunately for the Knights, they would surrender one final touchdown and wouldn’t be able to get back on the board, allowing the Comets to leave with the win.

Rob Hamilton can be reached at 419-946-3010, ext. 1807. Connect with him on Twitter at @SportsMCS