Ed Kline made a donation to the Morrow County History Society of two $1000 War Savings Stamps, commonly referred to as War Bonds, purchased by his grandparents Charles and Mattie Kline.
Shown holding one of the War Savings Stamps is MCHS curator Kevin Evans. The War Savings Stamps were purchased to fund the WWI effort. Morrow County was awarded the Victory Shaft Monument which was erected in the Mt. Gilead Village Square in 1919 in recognition of having purchased more War Savings Stamps per capita during the years of the World War 1918 and 1919 of all counties in the United States. Until the generous donation by Kline, members of the MCHS had never before seen a War Savings Stamp.
Shown is one of the two $1000 War Savings Stamps donated to the MCHS by Ed Kline. It reads: Charles Kline has purchased the maximum amount of United States Savings Stamps allowed by Law thus serving America in its was for liberty and humanity. It is signed by James Middleton Cox who was Governor of Ohio in 1919.
Photos by Donna Carver.