CARDINGTON — During a 30-minute meeting Monday, June 1, village council approved several pieces of legislation that included a resolution declaring it necessary to levy a replacement of an existing five-year tax (1.5 mills) for the village’s fire department.
It is in excess of a ten mill limitation. It will be placed on the Nov. 3 general election ballot.
In other business:
• Fiscal Officer Deb Fry reviewed the village’s finances and said that a notification from the state auditor regarding Uniform Accounting Network fees stated that due to COVID-19, the UAN fees for the third quarter of this year will be waved, resulting in a savings of $948.
She said a notification from RITA states the village will receive a refund after a review of the cost of the village’s collections. If it is less than estimated, a refund is issued. Due to COVID-19 they are issuing the refund in the amount of $4,499 a month earlier than last year.
• Fry said the 2020 Sutphen Fire Engine ordered 14 months ago is complete and arrived in Cardington May 29, 2020.
• Payment of bills totaling $20,330.74 was approved.
• Approved three change orders related to the new water treatment plant amounting to a total of $14,443.
• Approved was a resolution accepting and confirming the mayor’s and fire chief’s recommendation of Dustin F. Hall to the position of Volunteer Fireman for the village.Hall is also a member of the Cardington Police Department.
• A second reading was given adopting the 2020 employee handbook as the replacement for the previously accepted safety and non-safety forces handbooks.
• Police Chief James Wallace reported the department took a total of 170 calls for service from March through May.
• The department escorted the school staff in a parade through the village so they could see their students and also led a procession for the Memorial Day remembrance. They also escorted the senior class of 2020 in a parade throughout the village.
• Mayor Susie Peyton said the two shelter houses, one in the village park and the other at Maxwell Park, will not be rented out this summer.
• Council will meet on June 15.