The Northmor Board of Education accepted an offer from the State of Ohio Rain Monitoring System and the National Weather Service to allow a rain gauge to be put on campus.
Supt. Chad Redmon presented a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with AECOM, as a representative of the City of Columbus, asking to install the gauge on Northmor property at the August 20 regular board meeting.
“The northern portion will be the Scioto River Watershed, and Hardin, Logan, Marion and Morrow and Union counties,” explained Redmon. “They’re trying to fill a gap in the existing rain gauge system network. “Our site falls within an area in the northern region that has a strong radio signal for the transmission of data from our school site back to Columbus.”
He said a concrete pad will be poured (on the CR 29 side back by the electric power station) to install a solar-powered system at no cost to the school.
“Our students and teachers could use this to look at weather, water, measurements or anything like that,”he encouraged. “The site would be maintained by the National Weather Service in the City of Columbus.”
The board approved the request.
Under Treasurer’s Items, the board:
• Approved up to ten people to attend the Ohio School Board Association Capital Conference from November .
• Appointed a delegate and alternate to attend the annual business meeting at the Ohio School Boards Association Capital Conference in November 8- 11, 2015. Richard Smith volunteered and Carlyle Smith was selected as an alternate.
• Authorized the Treasurer to create Super Blanket Purchase Orders for FY16 that will expire June 30, 2016. This allows the treasurer to pay recurring expenses, such as regular bills.
• Authorized the Treasurer to transfer $7,000 from General Fund to Annual to pay for 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015 yearbook costs (to get the yearbook fund back in the black).
• Authorized the Treasurer to transfer $288.96 from the Class of 2010 to the High School Principal’s Fund (018-9672).
• Authorized the Treasurer to pay two invoices totaling $11,403.17 from Metzger-Gleisinger for work completed on the pump, and smoke detectors in the K-12 building from the Maintenance Fund.
• Approved the purchase order in the amount of $40,000 to Tolley Bus Repair for maintenance and body work for Northmor’s bus fleet.
• Approved the renewal contract for Dental Insurance with Oasis Trust for a two year period beginning with October 1, 2015 through September 30, 2017.
Under New Business, the board:
• Approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the school districts of Morrow County(Northmor) and Ohio Heartland CAC Head Start from July 1, 2015 until June 30, 2016.
• Adopted a resolution adopting the exchange of services agreement between the Ohio State University of Mansfield and Northor Local Schools.
“We receive field placements (aspiring educators hoping to enter the teaching field) from MTC in Marion, Mt Vernon Nazarene College, OSU Mansfield and others,”said Supt. Chad Redmon. “We actually do our college classwork here on site in partnership with MTC’s College Credit Plus program. This resolution is a formality to work with OSU Mansfield
• Approved Jennifer Minton, CNP as designated medical personnel for bus driver physicals in accordance with the OAC 3301-83-07.
• Accepted the donation in the amount of $300 from Chuck Beck to be placed in the high school principals’ fund.
Superintendent’s Employment Recommendations
The board accepted the resignation of Stephanie Uhde from the position of elementary teacher effective August 3, 2015 and the resignation of Karly Watterson from the position of elementary teacher effective July 22, 2015.
Employed for the 2015-2016 school year were: Ashley Bowersmith as a part-time cafeteria worker; Sarah Gibson as a teacher; Kenneth “Buck” Workman as the assistant athletic director; Louis Tommelleo as a teacher for a one-year contract; Andrew Starr as a substitute bus driver; Anne Heeter as a substitute cafeteria worker; and Ashley Robinson was recognized as a volunteer assistant coach for the cross country team.
Approved was Versa Westbrook for up to 20 hrs. of training for transportation clerical aide; and Jeff Tolley as the bus mechanic until further notic.
Maternity leave was approved for Megan Roshon from September 21 through November 25, 2015.
The following cafeteria personnel were granted 7 additional work days in the month of August/September at 5 hours per day at their hourly rate: Vicki Brubaker, Ashley Bowersmith, Dayle Lambert, Kathy Pierson, Diane Murray, Nina Miley, Sandy Schaffer, Julie Vanderkooi and Sherry Weimer. Mike Skelton was granted 5 additional work days in the month of August at his per diem rate.
Board members recessed to Executive Session to consider the appointment, employment, dismissal, discipline, promotion, demotion, or compensation of a public employee or official.
The next regular Board Meeting will be on September 17, 2015 at 7 p.m. in the Board Meeting Room.
Reach Randa Wagner at 419-946-3010, ext. 1803 or on Twitter@MorrCoSentinel.