Some facts and figures on the Cardington-Mount Gilead football series:
• This year’s game was the 72nd meeting between the two schools since Mount Gilead beat the Pirates twice back in 1909.
• The schools have met every year since Cardington resurrected their football program in 1947. In that time, Cardington has a 35-34 advantage, while the teams have tied once. Overall, the Indians hold a 36-35-1 series lead despite dropping the past three games, including this year’s 35-34 nail-biter.
• During the series, both schools have had seven-game winning streaks once. Cardington won every game from 1955-61 and Mount Gilead took every game between 1979-85.
• Cardington was undefeated from 1950-61, going 11-0-1.
• Cardington’s biggest win in the series was a 61-0 triumph in 1989. Mount Gilead won 62-6 in 1971 and 70-16 in 1972, the latter being the second-best single-game point total in Indian football history.
• Mount Gilead has scored 1375 points in the series, an average of 19.1 points a game. Cardington has scored 1317 points, an average of 18.3 points a game.
• Mount Gilead has won nine games by shutout, the most recent occurring in 1984. Cardington also has recorded nine shutouts, most recently in 1998.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU