90 years ago, August 28, 1924
Cardington Public School was to open September 1st. Because the new school was being constructed on Nichols Street, there were to be several changes The first bell calling the school to order was to be rung at 8:30 am from the Methodist Church The second bell was to be rung at 9 am. The high school laboratory and the office were to be located at the Wood property on East Main Street where a telephone was to be installed. The first, second and third grades were to occupy the Shaw Mission (on Second Street), the fourth grade in the room above the Isaly Dairy; the fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth grades were meeting in the Underwood building over the meat market; the ninth and tenth grades in the GAR Hall and the 11th and 12th grades in the Chase Block over the Post Office. The school wagons were unloading on Second Street.
Little Ganel Maxwell, operated upon recently at Grant for mastoid trouble, is not yet seven and stood it like a little heroine. She is on the road to recovery rapidly.
Clark Kester and Leander Foust made a trip Sunday to their old stamping ground in the vicinity of Westfield The Ostrey cemetery, Windsor’s Corners and other places recalled days of long ago and in recounting of experiences lived over days that will never return.
Mr and Mrs. Ed Wahl and daughter of Payne, were guests of Postmaster and Mrs Warren Smiley Sunday. Mr Wahl is owner and operates the Portland cement plant at Payne.
Saturday afternoons are made lively by members of the Galion Salvation Army holding services on the square.
Notice: Closed for two weeks, August 28 to September 11, the Garment Hospital, Martin Hunziker, proprietor.
The Callihan restaurant was sold last week to Roy Bailey of Ashley who formerly conducted a restaurant at that place He will be assisted by his father-in-law Guy Baldwin. Mr Callihan sold out on account of his health which is not improving. Mr Bailey wlll move to Cardington soon occupying the Henry Axthelm property on west Main Street. The deal was made by the Aliga Agency.
60 years ago, August 14, 1954:
A/1c Clarence Walter was stationed at Griffis AFB in New York. He had been stationed at Ladd AFB Fairbanks, Alaska for two years PFC Donald Clark was newly stationed at Strocht five miles from Frankfort, Germany.
A Masonic ring apparently lost when the Cardington water works system was constructed 18 years ago, was found last week by Harry Carpenter while digging a ditch in the lane south of the pump house The ring was found at a depth of two feet.
Transfer of 418.75 acres of land from the Bennington Local School District, Marengo, to the Delaware County School District, had been ordered by the state department of education. According to a letter received by the Morrow County Board of Education. Order for the transfer was issued after the state department voted not to reverse a previous decision authorizing transfer of the territory. The Morrow County board appealed the first decision and submitted new evidence. The state department held that the new evidence was not sufficient to reverse the earlier decision. The Morrow County Board in requesting a review of the first decision stated that petitions submitted by Noah F and Kathryn C Miller and Seth Hammond and others did not represent the wishes of the residents of the district, that Marengo district should not be weakened by the loss of the territory and that the territory was not contiguous to the Big Walnut School District in Delaware County to which it would be transferred.
Dale Coomer, 1953 CHS graduate, was granted a four year scholarship to the University of Georgia at Athens, Ga. He had played football at his high school.
The marriages of Roy Zinn and Helen Smith and Thelma Thomas and Virgil Hull were noted on the Society page. Also noted was the engagement of Shirley Fowble and Robert Robinson
30 years ago, August 23, 1984
Wearing the crowns of the 1984 Ohio Gourd Royalty were Robin Grimm of Cardington, the Ohio Gourd Queen and Dwight Tingley of Mount Gilead, the Ohio Gourd King.
Pictured was Esther Yake, a registered nurse and Red Cross Volunteer working for the Morrow County Health Department. She had been a Red Cross volunteer for 12 years.
Mrs. Henry Breckner and Mrs. Willard Durfey of Cardington, had attended the annual convention of the Ohio Association of Garden Clubs in Dayton and brought home $100 for the Cardington Garden Club for its superior rating and second class placing in the Public Beautification Project for 1983.
The Cardington Village council had approved the annexation of J L Patterson’s 6.2 acres to the village. Keith Barga commented on his continuing study of a proposed income tax for the village.
Four positions had been filled in the Cardington-Lincoln School District. New librarian was Kathleen Heinrichs, replacing Krista Taracuk; Susan Abbot was the new LD Tutor, Mrs. Marie Mocek of Toledo was the new speech therapist and Dan Marshman was employed as the new assistant elementary principal.